Today was a day full of experiences. We visited a small village where blacksmiths were making tools by placing metal in a fire and then beating it with a hammer to shape it. I saw some kids watching around a building do I played peek-a-boo with them...they started smiling. I took out my camera and asked them in Swahili if I could take their picture...they smiled and were all for it. I let them take pictures with the camera and they thought it was very funny. One of the other volunteers had a digital camera that also printed Polaroids. She took one of the 2 kids (brother and sister). She gave the pic to their older brother who was going to present it to the mother and father as a gift.
We visited a local tribe where we learned about their culture and history and then ventured into caves and tunnels which were made 50 years ago. They performed a tribal dance and we all joined in. At one point they asked the leader of our group...well I was appointed leader and became chief of our group and dances with the chief of their tribe in the middle of the circle of volunteers and the native tribesmen and women. Very cool experience.
We toured a market...not exactly what we would think of as a market. There were some small buildings but most of the things were placed all over the ground.
We finished the day by hiking down a very steep canyon to a BEAUTIFUL waterfalls. A group of us got in the water and had a swim. The water was actually very cold as it came from the melting ice of Mt. Kilimanjero.
We ended the day with a delicious BBQ outside. The food here has been amazing. Some of the best food I have ever had.
Tomorrow we are visiting an orphange.
J
No comments:
Post a Comment