Friday, 9 September 2011

Magareeza School

I cannot put into words what an amazing feeling it is to spend time volunteering with these kids. They are so happy and crave attention. Sometimes we can have as many as 6-8 kids holding onto our hands at one time. This school doesn't have a lot but it is very well organized and I am AMAZED at how well the children listen to the teachers...respect is a very important part of this culture. Teenagers can end up in juvenile detention if they disrespect people older than them...a couple of the volunteers are placed at the juvenile detention and there is at least once teenager there for that reason. The children start the day by cleaning up the yard and then form a big circle to sing songs and dance. Nate and I taught them 'I'm a little teapot' We teach for 1-2 hours each day...some math, nursery rhymes, how to read a calendar, facial expressions, colours. When we assign work for them to do in their work books we walk around the room helping. When they are done we correct their work and to their delight...I brought stickers....huge hit. I started putting 1 sticker on each book. I quickly realized that some students were taking the stickers off and coming back for more. :-) They are so appreciative of everything. I taught them how to make a bubble maker out of paper, tape and dish detergent.

I have been so pleasantly surprised at how comfortable I am here. Ignorance I think kept me from doing this earlier in my life but I love it here...I will definitely be back. You really owe it to yourself to do something like this and without a doubt, if you are going to do it, Cross Cultural Solutions is the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment